Last weekend I began a project I had no idea I was going to end up doing. It all started at the Habitat for Humanity store. Yup that place again. Such a dangerous and wonderful place all at the same time. I was looking for some cupboard doors for a special order from my ETSY shop. Of course after I found what I was looking for I began to wander. Now worse than me in the re-store is DAD and I in the restore. You see I am the vision and he is the one who tells me how simple it would be to do. Seriously risky combination.
In the past I had mentioned to him and showed him examples of some ideas for making my own headboard for my bed. I had pretty much decided to wait until I had bought a new house, but since that has temporarly been put on hold, I’ve been thinking about it again. We found just the perfect ingredients for said headboard, but I am going to save that for another post. But let me just tell you I absolutely love it. I tell you this so that you will understand where the whole “redecorate my bedroom on the the spur of the moment” thing started.
I was able to find an almost completely full gallon of gray paint there for $5.80. Who knew?? I sure didn’t. It was much darker than I wanted so I mixed it with some left over white paint I had in the basement. In no time I had the exact color I was looking for. Yeah!!!! That night……it was a Saturday night thankfully…….I painted my entire bedroom. I couldn’t wait. It took two coats to cover up the dark brown and green I had in there but I loved it.
Since then I have been on a mission to redo my entire bedroom for under $100. I’m not sure I am going to make it but I am going to try.
Paint……$5.80. Not a bad start.
I have done a few different projects that I will save for other posts but this one was pretty fun.
I wanted something to hang above my bed and the new headboard, but I wanted to keep it pretty simple and fun. I had picked out a piece of fabric that I like because of the colors. Gray, blue and yellow. This was my inspiration.
I used three 9X12 flat canvases on sale for $5.25. (I had bought them for something else a while ago but never used them.)
I also had a very large supply of paint chips. Not too long about I found a Sherman Williams sample kit for sale on ebay. It literaly has thousands of paint chips in it and I am pretty sure I can use it for 100’s of projects. I’m not even sure if I used a $1 of them for this project so I will leave it out of my total cost.
I choose maybe 20 in different shades of gray, blue and yellow.
I then used a large circle punch to cut out many little circles. I only had one size of punch so I cut some smaller ones out by hand so I would have different sizes. Somehow I missed taking a picture of this.
I then covered my three pieces of canvas with a light yellow patterned fabric. $6 for two fat quarters. After they were covered using spray adhesive. (I have a love hate relationship with this stuff) I then laid them side by side and used acrylic paint to paint the basic outline of a tree.
This is the point where I looked at this laying on the table and was very sure it was a complete bust. “I could save the canvases” I thought “but the fabric is a loss.” Before I tossed it I decided to begin laying the circles on to see if there was any way I could make it work.
Well let me tell you I am as shocked as you that I was able to save the room in my trash can and actually use this. I have decided if I was to do this again I would used a fine tip Sharpie instead of paint. Lesson learned.
So for a total cost of $11.25 I have a new wall decoration for above my bed. I plan to used command strips to hang them but for now they are resting on the headboard. I would love to do it again and make it look a bit more like a tree but I am somewhat endeared to my odd little tree.
Lord it’s in your hands!!